- Write a personally satisfying experience.
- Write about your academic interests.
- Tell us about your decision to choose this college and your future career path.
The college application questions above are typical essay questions you may encounter when applying to colleges. Some schools may call them personal statements while others may categorize them as entrance essays. And though these questions may appear to be different, all three have a common denominator: YOU.
In other words, in their own special way, these college application questions are asking WHO ARE YOU? TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF!!
Colleges all want to uncover as much as they can about you, gaining an insight into your personality, character, determination, values, goals, background, and anything else you can reveal about yourself. While you should always answer the college application questions, you should ensure to answer them by showing a side of yourself that does not appear anywhere else in your college application package.
Fore sure, there will be times when colleges will devise more creative ways of asking you about yourself, by setting up the theme for you.
Here are some college application questions examples and themes you could expect:
- Write a letter to your new college roommate introducing yourself and describing your background.
- Imagine you were marooned on an island and you had to choose only one person to be with. Who would it be, and why?
- If you could spend a day with a historic figure, who would it be and why?
- The best piece of advice you have ever given someone
- The best dream you’ve ever had
- If you were to describe yourself by a quotation, what would that quotation be?
- If you introduce a new idea or a new material object to a primitive culture, what would it be?
- You’ve just won a million dollar lottery. How do you plan to spend the money?
- What was the best advice you ever received? Why? And did you follow it?
- You just completed a 300-page biography. Please submit page 225.
- Presuming there was only one open admission spot remaining, why should this college award it to you?
- If you could be any animal in recorded history, which would you be and why?
- Choose an invention you think has had the greatest negative impact on our world and explain why.
- How has the neighborhood you grew up in molded or influenced you into the person you are today?